Friday, August 09, 2019

Newborns

I woke up in the middle of the night and turned on the lamp a few inches from my pillow. And found it in the middle of a population explosion.

Newly hatched spiderlings on the lampshade.

The whole lampshade was covered in these miniature crawling specks. So cute!

But I moved the lamp away. And spent a good part of the night sleeping in a chair.

Setting out to explore the world.

Hairy legs. And so young!

The next day, a cellar spider moved in. It was so small, so almost transparent, that I could only see it when the light hit it on a certain angle. Predation begins early.

Today, all the spiderlings are gone, moved on to their new hunting grounds, apparently not near my pillow. (I hope!) Only the cellar spiderling remains.

I'm sending their photos in to BugGuide. I don't really expect much of an id, but the abdomen pattern looks interesting.

*Update: BugGuide identifies them as Steatoda grossa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger