Tuesday, August 06, 2019

Meanwhile, back in the tank ...

I've been too busy; travelling, running errands, catching up on paperwork (a form of procrastination to put off dealing with more challenging paperwork), gardening; all the things I do during a "lazy" summer. Sometime, weeks ago, I took a break and sat down by the aquarium to visit the hermits. And forgot to post the photos.

So here they are. Hermits and a crab.

Poor crabby. He must have tangled with one of the larger crabs, probably trying to hold onto his supper. He's lost a pincer. Luckily, he's got plenty of legs and mouthparts that can serve as spoons and forks, and the next molt, he'll get his pincer back.

Deep in the tank, colours are muted. It's like seeing through a light fog. Here, a hairy hermit looks back at me from her perch on Pacific rose seaweed growing on a stiff red alga. Pacific rose can grow from fragments left after it has been weeded out. I tear out whole handfuls every time I change the water.

A grainy hand hermit with colourful algae decorating his shell..

One of the tiny orange hermits in a brand-new shell. The seaweed here is broken, half-rotted rockweed. Good eating, the hermits say.

Grainy hand hermit (left) and small hairy hermit (right) on eelgrass.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger