Monday, February 18, 2019

Disaster averted

I don't post very many photos of my aquarium critters these days. It's not a lack of interesting things going on, but most of them don't show up in photos. And have been discouraging, as well.

I've been collecting fresh seawater for the tank every couple of weeks. Until this spring, the best access point (with my heavy 5-gallon buckets) was at a local boat launch, where I had a platform to stand on over water deep enough. Then the city decided to "improve" it. First, it was blocked off with fences, then the heavy machinery came in and played in the mud all summer. I found another access point, a few miles down the road, which worked fine until the winter storms blocked it with logs, and a sign went up, saying that the logs would remain until spring.

Okay. I went back to the old boat launch, that was now open. Very nice: two long piers out into the water, anchored with a post at each end, a clean cement ramp leading down, as opposed to the slippery, uneven slope I stumbled over last year. Very nice. I filled my buckets easily and took them home.

And almost killed my whole tank. As soon as I changed the water, all the anemones shut down immediately. The big brown plumose anemones started sending out her distress symbols: acontia - long white threads streaming out from her body. The crabs and hermits sat still, looking sleepy; they were not interested in food.

"Metty" in a bad mood. Photo from 2015.

But everything looked good! The tank had been scrubbed, the water was clear, the pump and bubbler were going strong. I gave them a few hours to recover, and looked again. Worse. Some of the anemones on the walls had just given up and were mere smears on the glass. "Metty" was an angry brown disk. The crabs were barely moving.

I checked the water. The salinity was 'way down, the acid level 'way up. I corrected these with salt and bicarbonate, added water conditioner. That should have fixed it.

But where did the salt go, and where did the acid come from? The nice, fresh, clean, but still uncured, cement works at the boat launch, maybe? And did the "improvements" include re-routing a stream into the launch site? With fresh water, and possibly lawn and business run-off? What other poisons came along with that cool, clear water?

When, two days later, none of the anemones seemed to be recovering, and no-one had any appetite, I went for water again. This time, to a beach where I had to wade into the surf, then haul my buckets over logs and rocks and slippery sand and a lawn to reach the car. (A man passing by saw my struggles and came to help; much appreciated!)

I changed the water again. The crabs woke up. The hermits discovered their appetites. And slowly, so slowly, the anemones took in water, opened cautious mouths, waved tentative tentacles. My largest pink-tipped green anemone - so beautiful she had been! - had broken down into three or four brownish chunks and fallen to the bottom of the tank. Two of the chunks now anchored themselves to shells and looked about for food.

Today, a month later, they're still cautious. But the pink-tipped anemone is finally pink-tipped again. And the crabs and hermits are enthusiastically pairing up; I have two pregnant crabs.

And spring is coming. And the logs will be gone. And - I hope - no-one will try to "improve" the second boat launch.

"Hi, there!" Waving female crab. She may be newly in berry.



4 comments:

  1. Your extra effort is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way I see it, if you adopt anyone, human or otherwise, you have an obligation to do the best you can to keep them healthy and happy.

      Delete
  2. I always hate to see "improvements". It usually means planning without real knowledge of what the fallout will be. I'm still amazed that people insist on putting tons of chemicals on their "lawns" so they look pristine, green - and deadly. It is no wonder that I have read that (maybe from you) insects are on the downtrend, and birds - and just about anything striving to live. How sad that a little area that you used had to be "improved". Idiots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Facinating ... and disturbing.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger