Saturday, November 17, 2018

It's complicated

The closer you get to the ground, the busier it gets. A mushroom on old wood turns out to be an entire garden community.

Lichen agaric mushroom (I think), with lipstick cladonia (lichen), moss, last summer's weed stalks,and a grass seed head.

Moving back to see the surroundings. Now there's the odd pixie cup lichen, a handful of Douglas fir needles, a sprinkling of brand new seedlings; two or four red leaves getting ready for the spring, fragments of big leaf maple leaves, and a coating of dark green algae on the old wood. Also present, but well camouflaged; several springtails.


Another mushroom/wood/moss/stems/grass group, including here a bird's nest fungus (where the old stem meets the patch of moss).

Zooming in on one of these lichen agarics. Latin name, Omphalina, meaning having a navel.


1 comment:

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger