Saturday, November 17, 2018

Burnt salal

Salal is an evergreen native of our rainforests. It likes shade, water, acid soil, cool weather. Under a dense canopy of coniferous trees, it makes tall, almost impenetrable thickets.

But in the open, dry forest around Oyster Bay, it hugs the ground and burns when the sun is bright, turning red, then a deep purplish-blue.

Three pale gilled mushrooms and sun-blistered salal. The mushrooms are about 3 inches tall, judging by the spikes of lichen.

In deep forests, the berries are edible and delicious, but out here in the open, very few are produced, and those are usually dry and bland. I picked a couple of clumps this summer, tasted two, and threw the rest away. They're better left for seed.

UPDATE: I have been told that this plant is probably kinnickinnick, a salal relative, also native to this region. That is probably correct, although I also know that salal grows here, struggling in the sun. I must go back and collect samples of both and identify them properly.

UPDATE 2: It was kinnickinnick. I misjudged the size of the mushrooms.


3 comments:

  1. That looks more like Kinnikinick--it's in the same family as Salal, but more closely related to Manzanita. These dry summers have been hard on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right. It won't be the first time I'm totally wrong.

      I picked salal fruit here this summer, off plants down on the ground between logs. Maybe there's a mix of both species in the area.

      Delete
    2. I've updated the post.

      Delete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger