Thursday, August 09, 2018

Under a maple tree

The maples are glorious this year. Even the bare trunks. And the winged seeds.

I'm tempted to try climbing this.

Like little birdies almost ready to leave the nest.

It's cooler under the trees, but the bush is parched and crackly. There's a wildfire burning south of here, at Nanaimo; we need rain!

Mature bigleaf maple trees range from 50 to 100 ft in height (160 ft maximum) and 12 to 36 in. in DBH (133 in. maximum). Bigleaf maple is moderately long-lived; some individuals may reach 300 years of age. ...The root system of bigleaf maple is shallow and spreading on wet or shallow soils. (Oregon State University)

The field beside this tree is dry, but a small creek runs on the shady side of the tree. Maples lose their leaves when they lack water; this one seems to be doing well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger