Friday, August 24, 2018

Old favourite

Roadside pearly everlasting:

aka Anaphalis margaritacea. Perennial, in two meanings of the word.

I have an old photo of my Mom, taken after a hike through the coastal bush. She's carrying a bouquet plucked on the trail; salal leaves, Indian paintbrush, and pearly everlasting. It's a sampling of the different terrains her hike took her through; deep shade, wet cliff faces, mossy thickets for the salal, damp meadows and tidal marshes for the Indian paintbrush, and then, coming out into the sunlight and dry, stony slopes, the pearly everlasting.

Mom, 1955, Ferrer Point

Pearly everlasting was one of her favourites; mine, too. It holds its shape and colour as it dries, and lasts for years. (That's where it got its name.) In the long, wet, grey winters on the wet coast, that handful of everlasting was a reminder of the summer past, the warm summers to come. A vase on my bookcase holds last years bouquet, still looking fresh; this year's crop is drying, hanging upside-down on a hook in my hallway.

It grows thickly at this time of  year on gravelly roadsides, dry hillsides, and even bare rock:

Everlasting and its shadow, on a rock face.

1 comment:

  1. I love it too. I've yet to pick a bouquet to dry for display. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger