Sunday, May 06, 2018

Missing the mark

Pulling into another parking space, I notice the big rocks used as a border. (So much better than yellow-painted cement!) My eyes are drawn to the bullseye lichen circles on many of them, and I take yet another photo.

Bullseye, Placopsis sp, probably Placopsis gelida.

So blatant are these, such attention hogs, that I usually forget to look at the rock surrounding them. Big mistake.

Area to the right of the bullseye.

The whole rock is infested with lichen! Some of these are obviously baby bulleyes, but what are those orange smears? And the dark blue smudges? And those dark chocolate squares?

Area to the left of the Bull's-eye.

I think those little grey pits may be another stage of bullseye. Or maybe not.

Another patch. Probably a different species of Placopsis. Surrounded by pale green lichens.


3 comments:

  1. I lichen it!! Sorry - couldn't resist....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have so many kinds of moss and lichen. I just love it. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger