Thursday, April 12, 2018

As close as I'm permitted to get

Sea, rocks, sky. And distant wigeons.

Too far away to see, except as a fluttering arrow. But the pattern of whites* on wings and rumps identifies them as American wigeons

A gull watches me. One step closer, she says, and I'm outta here.

* There's an interesting article and available guides that help with waterfowl id, even at a distance, using the patterns of white markings. I followed the link from the CornellLab bird id website. "Where's the White?"   I will be ordering one, or maybe two.

1 comment:

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger