Monday, January 29, 2018

Blocky eyes

The hermit crabs in my aquarium carry their eyes on stalks. The eye itself is round, with a pale stripe across the centre, and the circular lens in the stripe.

Hairy hermit, Pagurus hirsutiusculus.

Tonight, while I tried to photograph a snail eating algae, trying to get a glimpse of its radula, a small hermit photobombed the scene. Maybe it's the angle: the hermit is above me, staring straight down at the flashing light that had attracted her attention: the whole eye is dark, and looks rectangular. I'd never seen one like that before.

"My turn! Forget that boring, slowpoke snail!"

She stepped on the snail's head, and he (the snail) promptly retreated into the shell. End of photo op.

1 comment:

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger