Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Eggs in urns

The whelks are laying eggs.

A small collection of egg cases. Each one holds about 20 to 100 eggs. Of these, only a dozen or two will mature into baby snails.

These egg cases are new; as the eggs develop, they show up as slowly moving dots inside the translucent casings. One has already been broached by a predator, probably a crab looking for an omelet.

The same eggs, with their blurry mother, a whelk. (Species not identified.)

The clear dot at the top of each egg case is a "cork" of gelatinous material. Over the incubation period, this gelatin dissolves, finally leaving an open passage for the baby snails' escape to the big world out here. (See A Snail's Odyssey; Whelks and relatives, for more info.)



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger