Tuesday, May 02, 2017

Wandering weed patch

Not a mystery critter, but it's trying to be:

Mossy chiton, Mopalia muscosa, half camouflaged under assorted seaweeds, a limpet, a barnacle, and no telling what else, hidden in the undergrowth. 

What it would look like scrubbed up.

In a more exposed area, say on a bare patch of rock, exposed to more movement of water and sand, the plates of the shell can be worn down and bleached. The chiton still has its own hairy girdle, even when the shell is polished.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger