Thursday, May 30, 2013

Pink fringe

Fringe cups are unnecessarily modest plants, dangling their miniature flowers from a graceful stem, half-hidden beside shady banks and along the edges of the forest. To really see them, you have to get down to their level, and look up at the flowers.

Mostly, the flowers look like wrinkly, papery, green globes with five greenish-white petals, deeply slashed at the edges, escaping from the mouth of the globe. As they age, the petals take on a pink tinge. I'd never seen any as deeply pink as these that I found beside the slough in Elgin Park.

Tip of an upright stem, with more stems in background

Another stem, hanging low above the basal leaves

Zooming in.

Zooming in on the upright stem. It's broken off at the tip; the whole stems end in a bud.



4 comments:

  1. Reminds me of miterwort. You make me want to look inside the flower. Can't you go back and take one more photo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always one of my favorites to look for in the spring. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer, miterwort and fringecup are both saxifrages; relatives. Next time, I'll look inside. (It might not be until next year, unless we find more soon.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You find such great things to share. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger