Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Ceiling monitor

I have another visitor. He turned up at the door yesterday, came in (with help), then found himself a comfy spot and settled in.

He's on the ceiling; been there since last night.

Small magpie moth, Anania hortulata.
See those big eyes? Together, they're bigger than the rest of the head. Moths have compound eyes, up to 17,000 individual light receptors, ommatidia, in each large eye. There is no eyelid; these eyes are always open. And because of their relative size, they may, as in this little moth, be looking straight at you, no matter where you are. (Sort of like some spooky paintings.)

It's a weird feeling, having a pair of eyes on the ceiling, always staring down at me.

"I'm watching you, down there!"


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find this post, that moth, your writing, 100% delightful, and it brought forth a hearty, childlike guffaw. =)

    Staring straight at you, no matter where you are.

    You WILL not win a stare fight with this creature. It can't be done. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful colours. They look so fuzzy up close. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger