Saturday, February 12, 2011

It's a living: tubeworm video

Worms! I finally got the video together and uploaded.

I haven't been able to id these worms; the closest I can find are the three-section tubeworms, but they don't quite match. I'd appreciate any help!

(As before, the sound only works for me after I've switched the settings to 480p. I can't figure out why. And get rid of the ad asap; it's hiding a couple of captions. Viewing the worm full-screen gives you a better look at the features of the head and tentacles.)


  1. Yikes! Strange little creature! But efficient too!

  2. I can't find the words to tell you how much I enjoyed this video. What a wonderful little creature! Your captions and music were perfect.

    Thank you. You manage to teach me and also abate my longing for the Ocean and its creatures somewhat!

  3. What a wonderful, informative, and entertaining video! Thank you for the post.

  4. There is so much life around us that we are not aware of - thanks so much for sharing these little creatures with us. I'm amazed at how those tentacles work as conveyor belts, bringing materials in & out of the tube. Pretty cool!

  5. Cool! i didn't know about any of that. Enjoyed your video very much.

  6. What an amazing video. You really get the details. - Margy

  7. I had no idea they use their tentacles like that. I assumed they'd grab something, and retract it into their mouth, but your video shows otherwise. I wonder if that "conveyor belt" motion is akin to how a snail moves, or perhaps using micro-feet (cilia) to move food in.

    BTW, what is the status of your crab population? Did any of the young survive?

  8. Thanks, all!

    Tim, I wonder about that conveyor belt action. I read somewhere that the food moves along a groove in the tentacles, but that's all I could find. Except that another website said that the tentacles were only used to remove food, and from what I saw and videoed, food is also being captured and brought down to the tube mouth.

    About the crabs; there are two very small crabs in the tank that I didn't bring home, as far as I know. And a couple of days ago, I was watching, and saw some sand grains moving around, so I used the hand lens. And there was a crab there, barely bigger than the grains of sand.

    Whether it's one of Ma Crabs or not, I can't tell. I'm not sure of the timing, and I have brought home fresh salt water for them. But it could be.


If your comment is on a post older than a week, it will be held for moderation. Sorry about that, but spammers seem to love old posts!

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!