Monday, May 24, 2010

Another Manky Mallard

I don't think I've ever seen an orange-tailed mallard before. But here is one:


Mallard male, more or less normal: greenish-yellow beak, blue-green head, lighter collar, purplish-blue speculum (next photo), black rear end. But orange tail feathers? And where are the curly tail coverts?


The edges of the tail match the orange feet. It's not a glitch in the camera's reading of colour.

A few of the other male mallards in this flock had a slight orangey tinge to their tails, but not to this extent. I've been wondering what combination of parent birds would result in this "Manky Mallard".

2 comments:

  1. I have never seen orange in a mallard tail either!!! Wow, what details you see - I'm so impressed. I mean that seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. Very interesting, my dear Watson. Who might the mallards be hybridizing with?

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger