Sunday, February 21, 2010

Two-faced hermit?

Rex was watching me again. I got down and stared right back at him, eyeball to eyeball. But what's that? Four eyes?


Rex and Joey?

It almost looks as though he has a second, smiling face under the eyestalks. A vertebrate sort of face, not crab-like at all.

I don't know what the second pair of "eyes" really is. Doing inventory; he's got the eyestalks, the long antennae off to the sides, the antennules between the eyestalks, two sets of maxillipeds for eating ... isn't he supposed to have three? So the "smile" must be the third, and smallest set of maxillipeds. But what are those "eyes"?

I took the same photo twice; this one in natural light, through the window, the next one with the flash. Look at the difference it makes!


The flash gives a sharper photo, and brings up the detail better, but it eliminates the translucence of the eyestalks and antennae, and the glow of the backlight. I think I like the first one more.

What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I like the detail shown in the second one, but that first photo is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What unusual pets you have. I know I've said this before, but I am always amazed with your closeups. - margy

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger