Sunday, February 10, 2008

Most successful birding day ever!

As planned, we went antiquing. And it was a rainy, misty, rainy, foggy, rainy day. But I managed to sneak in a bit of birding, anyhow.

And what a haul! At least two dozen separate species of birds, some lifers, several previously undocumented species or variants! And quite a few blown well out of their normal migratory routes, as well.

The antique show is held on the outskirts of Abbotsford, in farming country. Every time we've been there, so far, we've seen eagles perched in the trees overlooking the parking lot. This time, I was ready for them, camera in hand.

So, no eagles. Nary a one. And it was raining steadily, to boot.

tree
Four miserable, squalling crows.

So I took my birding indoors, into the showroom itself.

(Now, you must excuse me if these birds are not as lively as they should be, but you must admit that I was in dire straits; I mean, four crows?)

I realized that I was in prime birding territory when this adorable kiwi* came into view, just around the first corner.

kiwi
And just next to him, this sleek creature.

bird
A yellow-eyed penguin, possibly?

peacock feather
A peacock feather, to lure me on.

I passed up a few owls and roosters, and a heron or two before I started recording in earnest. And then the birds came thick and fast, from the old familiar barnyard dwellers ...

wire chicken

geese
duck

... to the birds of our seashores and mountains ...

gulls, painting
Gulls: detail of charcoal painting

eagle
Eagle, or Thunderbird.

jade
Cormorants.

... to more exotic species...

flamingo
Flamingos

bird
Pipe-cleaner bird.

cranes
Cranes, perched on a Japanese screen.

... And even one just possibly from outer space, or else from a mad scientist's lab.

totem and birds
Soft birds ...

peacock
Peacock, on a velvety shawl.

... Hard birds ...


Pheasant, on a stoneware platter.

... Tiny birds ...


Doves.

... Cheap birds ...


Forgotten in a jumble of "stuff" covered with badly scratched plastic.


The chick next door.

... And very, very expensive birds ...


Yellow bird, on a Japanese porcelain urn. Asking price, $1,800.


Brown bird, ditto.

... And even one not-quite-hatched bird ...


Robin's egg.

And what did we buy at the fair? That is for another day; no birds were involved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Christopher Taylor says in the comments that it is not a kiwi, but a kingfisher. He's right. The label is wrong. And I'm lazy.

6 comments:

  1. That first photo looks absolutely nothing like a kiwi - it does, however, look very much like a kingfisher, which is what I would have identified it as (despite the "kiwi" I can see on the label

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations on your great day of "birding". How may were lifers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christopher; You're right. Never having seen a kiwi, I just trusted the label. Shame on me for just being lazy.

    Larry; Lifers? Well, there's the yellow-eyed penguin, the pipe-cleaner bird, the flamingos, that species of crane, and the African bug-eyed stonebird. And a little green brooch bird that I didn't include in the post. That's 6. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't that just the way, camera ready and all there is, some lousy crows!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:21 am

    I know birders keep lists of everything. Are you now keeping a shopping list? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wren;

    :)

    Not really a shopping list, although I could live with those cormorants.

    But I'm happy just seeing, mostly; I don't need to have. Just like with live birds; watch, enjoy, see them fly away.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger