Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Jawbone of an Ass

... or something similar. A horse, maybe.

And this introduces a mystery.


I picked up this bone in the bush outside of Chase, in the BC interior, a few years back. And carted it all the way home because it intrigued me; what was it from, what was it doing out in the bush, with no other bones in the vicinity?

At home, I put it aside and forgot it. Cleaning out old junk a few months ago, I found it again, and put it out on the patio; better there than in my cupboards.

I kept hearing this odd clicking from outside, after that, and finally investigated. There was a black squirrel chewing at it, banging it against the table it was on. I have watched since then, and he comes back every day or so to have a go at it, chewing away as if he were a dog.

Here is a closer look at the end; see the tooth marks?

Why would a squirrel be doing this? Any ideas? Anybody?

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:58 am

    Squirrels chew on everything, I think to wear down their teeth and keep them from getting too long.

    My dad used to work for the phone company. In the days he was a lineman, he'd bring home pieces of lead cable cover that the squirrels had chewed through. Considering that my teeth would wear down long before the cable showed a dent, I was pretty impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wren;

    I'd heard of them eating through cables, but I assumed that was just rubber or plastic. Lead? Yikes!

    That's some chewing!

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger