Monday, April 16, 2007

The Whole Blooming Neighbourhood

Strathcona! My favourite Vancouver neighbourhood. Just on the edge of Chinatown, a community of older Chinese families turned artist's colony. Heritage houses and enthusiastic gardeners; the sun belt.

I wrote about it on my old blog, after I first stayed and fell in love with the place. You can read more of the background and see a bit of the local colour here and here and here and here and here. (In reverse chronological order. Do click on those ridiculously tiny thumbnails.) Or click on the Strathcona label, on this blog.

We arrived at my daughter's house around 5:00 last Saturday. Still early, and the sun was bright. I had time for a slow look around the garden and a walk down the block to the park.

Stepping out the front door, this is what I saw:
Strathcona streetAt the bottom of the steps, in a handkerchief garden, the tulip tree was in flower. For the rest, purple hyacinth, yellow and orange tulips and I think that is a white narcissus. Snuggled into a corner, a clump of forget-me-nots.



And euphorbia. I never did like euphorbia; it has an imperialistic bent, and needs careful and enthusiastic regulating. But it is such a beautiful spring green!

Some tiny pink blooms down among the tangled new growth. I have no idea what they are.


Down the block, an artist's studio in an old "Paneficio" (Bakery). Ivy, tulips, assorted greenery. The tree on the right is a fig. Later in the summer, it drapes fruit-laden branches over all the windows.

The horizon (and studio) are badly tilted; I think I was a little tipsy already with all the beauty around me.
On the way back, I took a side-trip down the alley, following a robin. He posed for me briefly before he took to the trees.

Almost home again. "Vintage" houses across the street, sunken into the ground with the years. (Or the street widened and built up. Long ago, these were narrow dirt alleys up and down steep hills.)

And folks were arriving. I could smell coffee and hear the laughter. I joined the party:

3 comments:

  1. Such beauty! Just what I need to start another dull, grey cold day in the east. Hope to see your view here next month!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:45 pm

    I enjoyed your photos. What are your favorite towns in the Comox-Strathcona region?

    ReplyDelete
  3. David;

    That was an unexpected question! The "Strathcona" I wrote about here is a Vancouver neighbourhood, close to downtown.

    However, I do know the Comox-Strathcona region; I grew up mainly in the Tahsis-Zeballos stretch of the West Coast of Nootka Island.

    Favourite towns in the area? Well, I would have to say Zeballos, even though it is basically a starting-out place. And Tahsis; I was back there about 5 years ago and it was well worth the visit. If I were younger and had my "druthers", I would love to do the Nootka trail.

    Other than that, on Vancouver Island, I liked Campbell river the few times I have visited (the last 2 years ago). And driving up the Island Highway, we stopped at Union Bay at an artist's studio/store/garden; a memorable experience.

    Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger