Sunday, June 26, 2011

Spider sampler

We've been finding spiders these days, everywhere we go. Some are new to me; others are old friends. Here's an assortment:

One of the ubiquitous cross spiders, Araneus diadematus, outside our door, in his tattered web.

These spiders are often very pretty.

Nieta, my resident American house spider, Parasteatoda tepidariorum. She's getting fat. I expect to see eggs any day now.

A tiny male, hanging out near Nieta's web in hopes of love. Or at least not being eaten before they mate.

Another of  the web builders. Probably Hibana sp.

A very small, fast spider, unidentified. Philodromus dispar. Thanks, BugGuide!

This one's smaller still; 3 mm nose to tail. Round from the top view, flat from the side. Very alert; good eyesight. Unidentified.

Another unidentified spider. Makes skimpy webs along walls, ceilings. This one was far above my head.

Zebra jumping spider, Salticus scenicus.

And a different jumper, on a blackberry leaf in White Rock. I couldn't identify this one. BugGuide has 9000 jumping spiders. I gave up half-way through.

A wolf spider, Arctosa perita, on the sand at Centennial Beach.

A big Tegenaria ran out of a planter box I was carrying. I didn't get a photo; I screamed and tossed the box onto the ground, and the spider escaped. I somehow can't get rid of that reflex, a leftover from ancient trauma. The story is here; Sleeping with tarantulas.

2 comments:

  1. I typed a whole comment and it disappeared - aaarugh! iPod typing. Mustn't have been important

    ReplyDelete
  2. heaven! What a delightful array of spiders. =) Very nice. That'd be fun to do, run around my house, etc. and photograph all our residents. Great idea.

    9000 jumpers?!? wow.

    Thanks for the delightful tour.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger