Friday, April 16, 2010

Mobile home. Without a floor.

I've been too busy of late. A couple of weeks ago, after I checked the birdhouse for slime molds, I was in too much of a hurry to hang it back in its place on the wall. I just plunked it on a table outside my window, alongside a fake plant someone gave me and my little cement angel. I would hang it later, when I had time. Besides, it needs a new floor; no sense hanging it until I fix that.

Then I forgot about it.


Shady back yard, grey day, through double window. The view from my desk.

I looked up from my desk yesterday, and there, just a few feet from me, a chickadee was examining the birdhouse. He (she?) hopped inside, outside, back in, out, checked out the roof, went back inside and rooted around, then finally left to get a snack at the feeder.


Never take a photo at dusk from inside a lighted room.

I grabbed the camera and fired off a half-dozen shots, without waiting to set up the lighting. At least I got a record of the event.


"Hmmmm. And the sunflower seeds are just over there..."

I was out today, so I don't know if he came back. If he does, and decides to move in, I'm going to have to leave the table as is all summer. If not, I think I'd better get busy installing that floor.


5 comments:

  1. I love the idea that the chickadee might raise a family in that house. Just think of the stories you would have for your readers:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! I am so excited to find out if your new tenants stay or not! Such a wonderful thing to have happen! I feel connected in a special way, because I remember when you took the pictures of the slime mold. This is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pair is wandering in and out right now. I think they're making plans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have swallows checking out our bird houses, but no one has moved in yet. Your birdhouse looks good on the table, but probably isn't the best location for the chickadee to start housekeeping. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I waited until after dark, when no birds were about, then put a new floor on the birdhouse and hung it back on the wall, about 2 meters high. I can still see it from the desk, but it's in a better location for chickadees.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger