I'm still looking at that sedimentary rock outcrop. The first time I stopped, two weeks ago, most of the moss on the rocks was red. Ok; we've had a hot, dry spell, and moss does turn red or brown without rain. Then I went back once more, to look at the moss more closely. Still red and orange. And it had been raining. Hmmm ...
I went back again this week, in the pouring rain. Some spots of the moss have turned green, as expected, but the rest is dripping wet and still red.
![]() |
| Here it is, on the second visit, Aug. 28th. It had rained twice since the first visit. |
![]() |
| And two days ago, in the rain. The greens are brighter. The reds are still red. |
![]() |
| Some areas are a deep, winy red. At least three species of moss here, I think. |
I loaded my photos on two different search engines. For the top two photos, both suggested Fire Moss, Ceratodon purpureus. Except that Google, for the same photo, once I added in that it was on Vancouver Island, said, no, it's not a moss at all, but Orange Rock Hair, Trentepohlia aurea, a green alga. And some photos of this do look similar. Others not so much. I'm not convinced.
![]() |
| Google image search calls this Juniper haircap moss, Polystrichum juniperinum. Could be. |
![]() |
| And this, they say, is fire moss, Ceratodon purpureus. |
![]() |
| So is this, they say. |
I'll have to take a fourth trip out, with a long stick to knock off one of those red pillows from higher up. Sunday, maybe; it's not supposed to be raining.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sigo pensando en ese afloramiento rocoso. La primera vez que lo vi, hace quince dias, casi todo el musgo que crece en las rocas estaba rojo. Bueno, hemos tenido un verano seco, y los musgos sí se vuelven rojos o cafés cuando no llueve. Pero luego regresé para verlo mejor. Y seguía rojo y anaranjado. Y eso después de 2 dias de lluvia. ¿Qué pasa aquí?
Regresé otra vez esta semana. Llovía; había estado lloviendo todo el dia. Y algunos de los cojines de musgo se han vuelto verdes, como era de esperar, pero la mayor parte sigue rojo. Empapado, pero rojo.
1. Esto es el dia 28 de agosto, en la segunda visita. Ya había llovido dos veces desde la visita anterior.
2. Y aquí está el 2 de septiembre, en la lluvia. Los musgos verdes se han puesto más brillantes. Los rojos siguen rojos.
3. En algunos lugares, el musgo es un rojo oscuro. En esta foto, creo, hay 3 especies de musgo.
Subí las fotos a dos buscadores. Con las primeras dos fotos, los dos sugerieron Musgo del Fuego, Ceratodon purpureus. Pero Google me dió otra identificación cuando le dije que el sitio estaba en la isla Vancouver; entonces, en cambio, dijo que no era musgo sino Trentepohlia aurea, un alga verde a que le dan el nombre de Pelo Anaranjado de las Rocas. Y algunas de las fotos se parecen. Otras no. No me convence.







No comments:
Post a Comment
I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.
Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!