Sometimes a quick point and shoot works. I was checking out the red moss again (still red) and grasshoppers were clicking around me; I heard them, but mostly didn't see them. But one clicked right in front of me. I still couldn't see it, but took a photo of the ground at my feet anyhow. One camera click, one grasshopper click, and it was gone; I didn't see it go, either.
Here's that photo; can you find the hopper?
![]() |
| The red here is the ripe heads of roadside weeds. |
Here it is:
![]() |
| Pallid-winged grasshopper, Trimerotropis pallidipennis. |
The clicking sound is called crepitation. Sometimes it's quite loud, sometimes it continues the whole time the grasshopper is in the air, or sometimes, like today, it's just one click as it takes off, maybe because it's taking short hops in a space where there isn't much flat ground. It is produced by snapping taut sections of the hind wings.
A vece sirve sacar fotos sin tratar de enfocarlas. Fui a ver como seguía el musgo rojo (sigue igualmente rojo) y allí entre las hierbas al pie del afloramiento, los saltamontes saltaban, con cada salto haciendo un breve chasquido. Los oía pero pocas veces los veía. Pero uno produjo su chasquido justo en frente de mis pies. No lo vi, pero saqué una foto rapidamente del suelo. Un clic de la cámara, otro clic del saltamontes, y ya se había largado. No lo vi al irse, tampoco.
1. Aquí está esa foto: ¿puedes hallar el saltamontes?
2. Y aquí se ve mejor. Es un saltamontes de alas pálidas, Trimerotropis pallidipennis.
El chasquido que hace se llama crepitación. A veces suena bastante fuerte, y a veces sigue mientras dura el vuelo. O a veces, como hoy, solamente se oye un "clic" cuando salta, tal vez porque hoy hacían saltos cortos, estando en tierra accidentada. El sonido se produce estirando y acortando partes de las alas delanteras.


No comments:
Post a Comment
I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.
Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!