Thursday, June 21, 2007

Soft and Cuddly

Would you pet this guy? He's almost cat-like, smooth and furry.
Except: here's the other end:
Ouch!
As I found him, in an old stained-glass lamp. A Dolomedes Tegenaria, or fishing funnel web spider.*

But I promised you a sasquatch, didn't I? I'll get at it right away. Next post.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Update: That was quick! Eric Eaton, on Bug Guide, identifies it as a Tegenaria. He writes,
"There are at least three species in your area, two of which are introduced, including the infamous "hobo" spider. There is relatively general agreement that the hobo is NOT venomous, but also little doubt that something is going on whereby its bites are sometimes causing necrotic wounds. This may be due to a bacterium the spider harbors on its fangs, but the mystery is still unsolved....Be careful not to put your hands where you can't see."
So I'm glad I kept it under glass while I photographed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger