Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Seals, seals, more seals

The last day of July, a baby harbour seal was born in Brown's Bay. I saw it there two weeks later. Last Sunday, I went to see if it was still hanging around the dock area. Yes! And it has friends its own age; a half-dozen youngsters, with parents in the background. I took too many photos; these are some of them.

And the water was quiet; there were few waves.

One of the adults.

Right below me on the ramp.


They didn't seem to like the sunlight.


Farther away, with reflections of the shore trees.

I liked the way the water caught the light.

On the far side of the harbour, an adult sleeps on the cement blocks of a boat launch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
El último dia de julio, un cachorrito de foca común (Phoca vitulina) nació en Brown's Bay. Yo lo vi quince dias más tarde. El domingo pasado, fui a ver si todavía seguía en la bahía. ¡Sí! Y está acompañado de amiguitos de su misma edad; más o menos una media docena, atendidos por varios adultos. Estas son algunas de las fotos que saqué.

El agua estaba muy tranquila, y las focas daban vueltas debajo del muelle, saliendo y entrando a la sombra. Parecía que no les gustaba la luz fuerte del sol. La última foto muestra uno de los adultos al otro lado de la bahía, dormida en un bloque de cemento del embarcadero.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger