Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Just looking

Sometimes, tracking down the specific details of a mushroom's stipe, or the flakes on its cap, looking for an exact identification, I start to lose the awareness of its beauty. Look at these, from the Quinsam River trail; halfway identified at best, but aren't they gorgeous!

Delicate colours and fringed edges. On a mossy stump.

Coral mushrooms, Ramaria sp., maybe.

I think these are young specimens of the first ones above.

Violet caps. Mycena sp., possibly.

A cap like brown velvet. Maybe a bolete.

I touched them; they feel like velvet, too.

A mushroom identification page on Facebook asks for the mushroom to be pulled out of the soil, turned upside down to examine the gills or pores, split down the middle to see if the stipe is hollow ... I am reluctant to interfere to that extent; let them be.

(I did destroy several Russulas, looking at how their gills flake. And then felt guilty about it. Who am I to determine whether a wild thing lives or dies? At least, though, I replaced them in their original spot, gills facing downward so they can drop their spores for the next generation.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A veces, al observar los detalles de un hongo, con el propósito de identificarlo con exactitud; por ejemplo, examinando la textura y forma del tallo, o de la superficie del sombrero, se me pierde la apreciación de su belleza. Miren estos que vi en la orilla del rio Quinsam, identificados solamente en parte, pero ¡verdad que son bellos!
  1. Honguitos con colores delicados y con los márgenes con flequillo.
  2. Hongo coral, tal vez Ramaria sp.
  3. Creo que estos son los mismos de la primera foto, pero muy nuevos.
  4. Sombreritos color violeta. Tal vez Mycena sp.
  5. El sombrero tiene la textura de terciopelo.
  6. Otro. Tal vez sea uno de los Boletus.
Un sitio en Facebook que se dedica a identificar los hongos recomienda arrancar el hongo del suelo, volverlo al revés para examinar las laminillas o los poros, partirlo por la mitad para ver si el tallo es sólido o vacío ... No me siento con derecho de imponerme de tal manera; me parece mejor dejarlos como los encuentro.

(Sí, destruí varios hongos Russula, examinado la manera de romperse de las laminillas. Pero después me sentí culpable; ¿quién soy yo, para determinar su un organismo salvaje viva o muera? Por lo menos, los volví a acomodar en el punto donde los encontré, con las laminillas abajo para que pudieran esparcir sus esporas para la próxima generación.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger