Saturday, June 01, 2024

This bug's a lifer.

 A few steps down a narrow side trail on Baikie Island, I came across these plants. The trail winds along, just above the shore, muddy in spots, even in dry weather, usually in fairly deep shade. I have found large groups of puffballs and other mushrooms here; it's that sort of place. And now, these; I hadn't seen them before, and now there were dozens.

I think this may be the common camas, Camassia quamash.

These were so small, I wasn't seeing the flowers well. I should have been wearing my reading glasses; look what I missed! (Next photo.)

Unidentified yellow bug. Looks like a weevil to me, by the elongated snout.

About half of the plants were in this seed-making stage.

The basal leaves, long, grass-like blades.

I found, on iNaturalist, photos of these taken in the same spot, in 2020. Just the green pods, and no confirming id.

So: are they this small camas? And the beetle; what is it? A poor photo, but I'll send it in to BugGuide, anyhow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Saliendo del camino principal en la isla Baikie, entré en un senderito angosto, y allí, casi a la entrada, encontré estas plantas. El sendero es sinuoso, siguiendo la orilla del rio, casi siempre en sombra, muchas veces lleno de lodo, aun en temporadas de sequía. Aquí antes he encontrado grandes grupos de hongos polvera y algunos otros; es ese tipo de terreno. Y ahora, estas plantas. No las he visto antes, y ahora hay docenas.
  1. Las flores. Me parece que pueden ser quamash común, Camassia quamash.
  2. Las flores eran tan pequeñitas que apenas distinguía sus características. Debería haberme puesto las lentes de lectura: ¡mira lo que se me escapó! Un bichito amarillo. Creo, por el probóscide largo, que puede ser un gorgojo.
  3. La mitad de las plantas llevaban estos cápsulas verdes, en proceso de hacer semillas.
  4. Las hojas salen a la base de la planta.
Encontré en iNaturalist, fotos de estas plantas que se encontaron en el mismo sitio, en 2020. Estas fotos muestran solamente las cápsulas verdes. Y la identificación no está confirmada.

Entonces; pregunto ¿estas son las quamash comunes? ¿Y el escarabajo? ¿Qué es? La foto no es muy buena, pero la enviaré a BugGuide de todas maneras. ¡Son unos genios!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger