Thursday, May 23, 2024

View from my hill

 A view from near the top of the hill behind my house, looking more or less east-northeast, over the Strait of Georgia and its islands, and ultimately to the mountains of the Mainland.

Ferry to Quadra Island, a 10 minute crossing.

Excuse the wires; the price paid for living a step from "downtown".

The mountains here and in the next photo are all on the mainland, with the closest peak about 60  km. away, The islands in between are mostly flat.

More towards the north. There's always snow on the mainland peaks.

Google relief map, showing how the land rises across the way. And behind me, towards the centre of the island. I'm in a long, half-drowned valley.

Yellow tug passing Quadra Island.

A Skywatch post.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unas vistas desde el cerrito atrás de mi casa, viendo más o menos este-noreste, hacia las islas del estrecho de Georgia, y más allá, las montañas del continente.
  1. El trasbordador que lleva a la isla Quadra, una travesía de 10 minutos. Perdonen los alambres: el precio que se paga por vivir a unos pasos del centro de la ciudad. Las montañas que se ven en esta y la próxima foto están situadas en el continente, con la más cercana a unos 60 km. de distancia. Las islas en el estrecho son por su mayor parte, tierras bajas.
  2. Viendo un poco más hacia el norte. Siempre hay nieve en sus cumbres.
  3. Mapa en relieve de Google, mostrando como la ciudad (donde está el corazoncito) y las islas forman parte de un valle medio lleno de agua.
  4. Un barco remolcador amarillo, cerca de la isla Quadra.


6 comments:

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger