Saturday, April 27, 2024

With a little help from my friends

 Well, that was quick. A couple of days ago, I said I would look at the pores on a possible turkey tail polypore "next time". And then yesterday, a friend gave me one she had found a month ago, doing garden cleanup.

My friends photo, cropped. On old lilac wood.

So I ran this one through Michael Kuo's 5T questions. (Totally True Turkey Tail Test)

Same mushroom, on my desk, under bright lights.

It is, still a month after it was removed from the host, flexible. (Question # 6) The colours are strongly contrasting. (#4 & 5) Some of the rings are hairy, (#3) And it has pores on the underside. (#2)

Pores, seen under the hobby microscope. With a hand lens, just visible.

And the clincher: there are just over 3 pores per millimetre. (Question #1.)

With a metal ruler, marked in mm. Lines drawn to help with the count.

The verdict: a Totally True Turkey Tail.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hace un par de dias, al descubrir la prueba para identificar los hongos Cola de Pavo, prometí examinar los poros del próximo que encontraba. Y ayer una amiga me dió uno que había hallado en su jardín hace un mes.

Foto #1: El hongo, tal como lo encontró mi amiga. Esta foto es suya. Los hongos están creciendo en la madera de una vieja lila (Syringa sp.)

Me traje el hongo a casa y lo examiné siguiendo las preguntas del examen "5T" ("Prueba Absolutamente Verídica de los hongos Cola de Pavo.") de Michael Kuo.

Foto #2: El mismo hongo, en mi escritorio, bajo luz fuerte.

Resultados: Pregunta #6; sigue, aun después de un mes, flexible. #4 y 5: Los colores hacen contrastes fuertes. #3: Algunos de las zonas de color son velludas. Y #2: Tiene poros en la superficie inferior.

Foto #3; Los poros, vistos bajo mi microscopio estudiantil. Con una lente de mano son apenas visibles.

Y la prueba final: Pregunta #1: Hay más (apenas) de 3 poros por cada milímetro.

Foto #4: Los poros, con una regla marcada en mm.

El veredicto: este es un hongo Trametes versicolor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger