Sunday, April 28, 2024

Keeping her distance

There was a hummingbird on the tip of a branch of a pear tree, just close enough to see her shape. The camera would do better, but by the time I'd taken off the lens cap, she had gone next door, to perch on the tip of a branch of a walnut tree. Against the light, and almost at the limit of my camera's lens. Playing hard to get.

I waited. For an hour and a half I sat there, camera in hand. And all that time, she either flew about, or (mostly) perched on that distant branch.

New walnut leaves and the hummer next door.

Tight crop. At least she stood still!

A robin was more cooperative:

Why do robins always look so worried?

"Cheer up!" he says.

And there were rhododendrons across the lawn.

Pink rhodos.

An hour and a half well spent.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Un colibrí hembra me esperaba en la punta de una rama del peral. Apenas suficientemente cerca para que mis ojos viejos pudieran distiguir su forma. La cámara ve mejor, pero para cuando había retirado la tapa del objectivo, la pajarita se había ido al jardín del vecino, donde escogió una punta de las ramas del nogal, contra la luz, y casi al límite del alcance de mi lente.

Me quedé esperando. Por una hora y media me quedé sentada con la cámara en mano. Y en todo ese tiempo, ella o se iba a dar una vuelta corta, o la mayoría del tiempo, se posaba en esa rama distante.
  1. Hojas nuevas del nogal, y la colibrí.
  2. Foto recortada. Por lo menos, cuando posaba, se quedaba quieta.
  3. Un petirrojo fue más dispuesto a cooperar.
  4. ¿Porqué será que los petirrojos siempre parecen estar preocupados?
  5. Y había flores. Estos son rododendros color de rosa.
Total; fue una hora y media bien aprovechada.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger