Monday, March 25, 2024

Close encounters

 I was standing in the snowy forest, nose to a tree trunk, when a woman came over the hill. She called out to me, "Where's the trail?" Without turning away from my bit of old bark, I pointed; over there, to my right, her left. She nodded, then backtracked before turning towards the trail, giving me a wide berth; there are weird people in this forest, don't get too close.

I never get tired of looking at lichen. Not weird at all. Here's what I was looking at:

Cladina sp., probably Reindeer lichen.

Pixie-cup lichens, Cladonia sp. Tiny, leafy squamules, and tall fruiting bodies.

Cladonia, standing tall. There are also some tiny white barnacle lichens. Zoom in.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yo estaba parada en medio del bosque, mirando muy de cerca, a unos escasos centímetros, el tronco de un árbol, cuando una mujer apareció subiendo la cresta del cerrito atrás de mi árbol. —¿Dónde queda el sendero? — me gritó; la nieve lo había escondido y estábamos las dos en nieve sin huellas. Apunté, sin alejarme del tronco; allá a mi derecho, a su izquierda. Inclinó la cabeza, y luego volvió sobre sus huellas una poca distancia antes de dar vuelta hacia el sendero; en estos bosques hay gente extraña; hay que evitar contacto.

Yo nunca me canso de observar los líquenes. No hay nada extraño en eso.

Esto es lo que miraba, allí en ese tronco:
  1. Liquen, del género Cladina, probablemente liquen de los renos, Cladina portentosa.
  2. Estos son "copa de duende", Cladonia sp. Se ven las pequeñas escamas, que parecen hojas, y los cuerpos fructíferos, como copas sobre un pedestal.
  3. Cladonia sp. Además hay unos líquenes muy pequeñitos, formandos botoncitos redondos, blancos. Hay que mirar de cerca.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger