Friday, February 09, 2024

Scrambled bar code lichens

 A nicely decorated alder. With a label. Can you read it?

Orangey-yellow mushrooms and script lichen. The trunk is about 10 cm. across.

The script lichen is probably Graphis scripta, which is very common, especially on alders. The "pencil marks" are the fruiting bodies. I'm not sure what species the mushrooms are; they grew from the ground up to the tip of the tree. I liked how they plaster themselves to the trunk before levelling off to make the shelf.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Aquí tenemos un aliso adornado como para darle color al bosque invernal. Y tiene su etiqueta. ¿La puedes leer?

Foto: tronco de aliso con hongos amarillos y un liquen gráfico. El tronco mide unos 10 cm. de diámetro.

El liquen gráfico probablemente será Graphis scripta, el cual es muy común aquí, creciendo especialmente en los alisos. Las "letras" son los cuerpos fructíferos. Y no pude identificar el hongo, que está creciendo desde el pie hasta la copa (muerta) del árbol. Me llamó la atención la manera que tienen de aplastarse contra la corteza antes de doblarse para formar la repisa.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger