Saturday, May 06, 2023

Takes me back

 The elderberries are blooming. And I found one with both flowers and the closed flower buds.

Sambucus racemosa buds. The ones with purple tips are just getting ready to open.

And here are the flowers.

Against the blue sky, with leaf shadows.

I wanted to see the individual flowers close up, but I couldn't reach these. Each little flower is about 1/2 cm. across; it has 5 white or creamy petals, which are curled tightly back, making the flower look like a little ball with the 5 stamens standing out around it, sort of like those 1950s "atomic starburst" wall decorations. I had a clock with one of those designs.

Well, not quite. Wrong colours, too many stamens, no petals. (Found on Pinterest)

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Están en flor los saúcos rojos, Sambucus racemosa. Encontré un arbusto con algunas flores y además los botones todavía verdes.

Fotos:
  1. Los botones. Los que tienen un poco de color morado están casi listos para abrirse.
  2. Una rama de las flores.
  3. Otra. Las florecitas individuales tienen 5 pétalos, doblados para atrás, haciéndose una pelotita blanca, con los 5 estambres extendidos, haciendo que la flor entera se parezca a esos diseños de los años 50 del siglo pasado, los dichos "estrellas atómicas".
  4. Un diseño de esos. Yo tenía un reloj con un diseño parecido.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger