Thursday, January 05, 2023

More haste, less speed.

 Sometimes I'm in just too much of a hurry.

I was doing the routine aquarium cleanup. I hadn't brought in fresh seawater for a while, because of the rain, but the filter was doing its job, and I periodically tested the salinity and added filtered water as needed. And now it was time to clean the filter itself. While I was at it, I washed the sand on the floor of the aquarium and removed a bucket-load of mucky water, which I replaced with chilled, filtered water, and after checking the salinity again, added sea salt to bring it up to the level my critters like.

All routine. But it was late, and I was in a hurry, so I just added the salt to the tank and stirred it around. (Stirring doesn't bother the residents; they're intertidal beasties and they actually seem to like it. Feels like home.)

But really, I should have dissolved the salt in water before I added it. Some of the salt collected, undissolved, on the floor. And a few minutes later, my big polychaete worm crawled out of the sand and stretched out, reaching for the top. He seemed lethargic, too, and stiff; just getting out of the sand, but not attempting to swim.

Oops!

I took a few photos while I watched him; I'm always trying to get a face shot, showing his four eyes. And then, because he was barely moving, I carefully removed him from the tank and put him in a tray with some of the old, dirty water. And he perked right up.

Well, there are the eyes. Blurry because he was moving behind fogged-over glass. But all 4 are there.

Mid-section view as he was leaving the sand.

And in the tray. It's 19 cm. across; that makes him about 45 cm. long. He's very active now.

He was fine in the old water, so I filtered out the muck and put him in the bucket. (Good thing I hadn't dumped it yet!) And left him overnight. In the morning, when all the rest of the tank critters looked happy and busy, I moved Mr. Worm back to the tank. And he was fine with it. Next time I checked, he was burrowing into the sand; only the last bit of his tail, waving about, was still visible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hay veces cuando por ahorrar tiempo, lo pierdo.

Estaba haciendo la limpieza normal del acuario. No había traído agua de mar nueva por un tiempo a causa de la lluvia, pero el filtro mantenía el agua limpia, y seguido yo medía la salinidad del agua y añadía agua filtrada según fuera necesario. Y ahora era hora de limpiar el filtro mismo. Al mismo tiempo, lavé la arena en el fondo, y saqué una cubeta de agua contaminada, la cual reemplacé con agua filtrada, y después de medir la salinidad, añadí sal marina para llegar a la solución más cómoda para mis criaturas.

Todo esto es cosa de rutina. Pero se me hacía tarde, y tenía prisa, así que añadí la sal directamente al acuario y la mezclé allí. (Ese movimiento de agua no causa molestias a mis animales; son invertebrados de la intramarea y parecen contentos con ello. Les parece que están en casa.)

Pero debía haber disuelto el agua en agua antes de añadirla. Parte de la sal quedó sin disolver sobre la arena. Y en unos pocos momentos, el polyqueto grande que vive en la arena, salió y se extendió para arriba, como si buscara escapar. Parecía un poco adormecido también, y tieso. Salía de la arena, pero no intentaba nadar como suele hacer.

Siempre estoy buscando oportunidades de sacarle una foto, esperando algún dia lograr una foto de sus cuatro ojos. Saqué la cámara mientras le observaba. Y entonces, ya que apenas se movía, le saqué del tanque con cuidado, y lo metí en un recipiente con algo del agua sucia. Y se recuperó de inmediato.

Fotos:

  1. La cara contra el vidrio. Se le ven los 4 ojos, si algo borrosos.
  2. Vista del cuerpo y las parapodias mientras salía de la arena.
  3. Todo el poliqueto en el recipiente. El recipiente mide 19 cm. por 29, lo que hace que el poliqueto mide aproximadamente 45 cm. Y ahora está muy activo, nadando.
Estaba tan bien en el agua sucia que pasé toda la cubeta por un filtro de café — ¡que bien que no la había tirado todavía! — y dejé el animal allí toda la noche. En la mañana, viendo que todos los otros residentes del acuario se veían contentos y activos, regresé el pobre Sr. Poliqueto al tanque. Y no tuvo problema; cuando miré pasado un rato, ya se había enterrado en la arena otra vez; lo único que quedaba fuera fue la colita, agitándose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger