Monday, November 21, 2022

Scratch marks and a hidden family

My friends and I were in those spooky woods to look at markings and scarrings on alder trunks. Could be bird doings, sapsuckers and woodpeckers looking for food. Or bears sharpening their claws, deer rubbing their antlers on wood. Beavers snacking on their favourite inner bark? Humans doing what humans do? Or fungi? Or ... Maybe looking more closely at the marks would give us some clues.

Today's batch I've categorized as maybe animal activity. And the trees' response to the trauma, perhaps.

Looks bearish to me. The main scratch marks started down from about my eye level.

These are the four shorter scratches, about 2 metres up the trunk.

Looking closely at the scars, I see that the tree has healed them over with new bark, but along the edges there's a raised welt. It's hard and tough; I couldn't break a piece off with my hands.

A long, single cut. 

This one has the outer welt, the inner new bark, and then another, lighter welt down the centre. A deeper part of the cut?

And then there's this one. A large wound in the trunk, and when I came close I realized that the lighter part in the centre is the heartwood. Smooth and undamaged; not what I would expect from a woodpecker hole. So what made it?

Wrinkled curtains around a boarded-up window.

But wait! What's that black spot?

Zooming in, adding light, darkening the target areas.

Do you see the spiders? A female on the heartwood, guarding her egg sac. And off on the edge, another of the same species, probably the male, waiting for her to be in a good mood.

I always blow my photos up and look them over carefully; you never know what's hidden there.

What do you think? Any ideas as to what made these marks?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Estábamos, mis amigos y yo, en ese bosque oscuro para examinar las heridas y las cicatrices en la corteza de los alisos. Podrían ser agujeros que hicieron los pájaros, los chupasalvias y los carpinteros, buscando comida. O tal vez marcas de las garras de osos, o de las cornamentas de venados. ¿Castores comiendo la corteza roja que tanto les gusta? ¿Humanos haciendo de las suyas? ¿Hongos? ¿Qué más? Tal vez al mirar más de cerca, podríamos entender mejor.

Las fotos de hoy son las que clasifiqué como "tal vez lo hizo un animal". Y el árbol se apuró a sanar la herida.

Fotos # 1 y 2: Se me hace que esto es obra de un oso. Las marcas superiores estaban a unos dos metros sobre el suelo. Mirando las huellas, veo que el árbol las ha curado con corteza nueva, dejando un borde elevado alrededor. Este borde es muy duro; traté de despegar un pedacito, pero no pude.

Foto #3: Un corte largo, a solas. Este tiene el borde elevado, la corteza nueva en medio, y en el centro, otra linea elevada. Como si la herida fuera más honda en el centro, y no se pudo curar simplemente.

Foto #4: Esto es algo raro. Una herida, ya bien cicatrizada, pero con un espacio claro en el centro. Cuando me acerqué me di cuenta que es la madera de corazón, lisa y sin daño alguno. Muy extraño. No parece obra de un pájaro carpintero. ¿Qué sería?

Me acerqué aun más. Y ¿qué es eso, esa cosita negra en la madera de corazón? Aumenté la luz de la foto, y luego oscurecí dos areas alrededor de los habitantes de este sitio. Dos arañas; la hembra con su saco de huevos en el centro, y el macho algo lejos, esperando a que ella esté de buen humor.

Nunca se sabe que vas an encontrar en la naturaleza.

Pues, ¿qué crees? ¿Sabes quién hizo estas marcas?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger