Sunday, November 20, 2022

Abandoned

 It was a dark and spooky wood ...

Alders in winter

We were looking at scratches and scarring on tree trunks there in the dark. (More about that, later.) And it was dark, too dark for my camera, too dark for my old eyes. A ways off the trail I saw a blob high up against a trunk. Just a blackish, dark brownish blob, but I was curious, so I took a photo. At home, I lightened it 'way up.

What is it?

Zooming in. It's an abandoned hornet's nest, with all its levels exposed.

I counted over 100 visible cells in the top two layers. There must have been around 400 baby hornets in the whole nest.

Checking to see if my estimate was reasonable, I found this, about bald-faced hornets:
At the height of activity, a paper hornets' nest may contain as many as 400 individuals. At the end of the summer, the queen produces a few males from unfertilized eggs, and a few fertile females that will become next year's queens.
After mating, the males die, along with all the workers and old queen.
The new queens leave the nest and overwinter in protected locations. (From SILive)

And life goes on, the old home becomes compost and feeds the tree it was built on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Era un bosque oscuro, misterioso ...

Foto: un bosque invernal con alisos sin hojas.

Estábamos mirando lesiones y cicatrices en la corteza de los árboles, allí en lo oscuro del bosque, un dia gris, sin sol. Y era de veras oscuro, demasiado oscuro para mi cámara, demasiado para mis ojos viejos. A una poca distancia del camino, vi una masa arriba en uno de los alisos. Una masa café, casi negra; imposible ver qué era. Pero me intrigaba, y le saqué una foto. En casa, le aumenté la luz a la foto.

Fotos: la masa, con mucha luz resulta ser un nido de avispas abandonado.

Conté hoyitos; en los dos niveles superiores conté más de cien celdas; calculé que debe haber habido unos 400 avispitas en el nido.

Buscando para ver si mis números eran razonables, encontré esto, hablando de las avispas de cara blanca, las que tenemos por este rumbo:

En la época de más actividad, un nido de avispas papeleras puede albergar hasta 400 individuos. Al final del verano, la reina produce unos cuantos machos de los huevos no fecundados, y algunas hembras, las que llegarán a ser las reinas del futuro. Después del apareamiento, los machos se mueren, además de todos los obreros y la reina vieja. Las reinas nuevas abandonan el nido y pasan el invierno en sitios protegidos. (De SILive)

Y sigue la vida, el nido viejo se transforma en abono, y nutre al árbol donde fue construido.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger