Thursday, November 03, 2022

Conversation with a raven

 I went to the boat ramp to get sea water for my aquarium. Fishermen often leave fish heads there in the shallows, so there are always a few gulls and crows on the rocks, keeping an eye on the offerings of the day. There may be an eagle or two, and often a seal. I collect my water, then sit a while, watching the goings-on. Yesterday there was a heron, preening himself at the end of the ramp. And a big raven, who chased away the crows that came for the oatcake crumbs I had tossed out. The raven didn't appreciate my goodies; too small, maybe.

A six-second sequence of photos before he left in disgust:

"Well, don't you have anything better for me?"

"And no boats coming."

"C'mon! Where's my fish head?"

"Craaak!" I think he was calling me a nasty name. Then he left.

And the crows came back and finished off the crumbs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fui al embarcadero a traer agua de mar para mi acuario. Es un lugar donde los pescadores dejan las cabezas de su pesca del diario, y siempre hay unos pájaros en las rocas, al pendiente, gaviotas y cuervos por lo general. A veces hay águilas; seguido se ven focas. Yo lleno mis cubetas y luego me quedo un rato, observando. Ayer, una garza se acicalaba las plumas al final del muelle. Y un cuervo grande (Corvus corax, que mide unos 60 cm.) que vino a ahuyentar a los cuervos chicos (Corvus caurinus, midiendo solo 40 cm.) que habían bajado a comer las migajas de pan de avena que yo les había ofrecido. Al cuervo grande no le gustaron mis migajas; muy poca cosa, dijo.

Una secuencia de fotos abarcando 6 segundos:
  1. — Pues, ¿no tienes nada mejor?
  2. Y no viene ningún barco.
  3. ¡Ándale! ¡Quiero mi cabeza de pescado!
  4.  ¡Craaak! — Creo que en lenguaje de cuervo, me estaba insultando. Y lueguito se largó.
Y regresaron los cuervitos y acabaron con las migajas.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger