Sunday, October 09, 2022

Dry weather fungi

It's supposed to be mushroom season. But it's far too dry this year. In three separate excursions where I kept an eye out for mushrooms, I saw mostly the polypores that remain whatever the weather, none of the usual soft mushrooms poking through wet duff.

Red-belted polypore. Without the red belt.

These look like the Shaggy Parasol, but they were growing on a fallen log. I couldn't get down far enough to see if they were gilled.

Layered shelf fungi at the base of a tree.

It was quite dark where these were growing, and they looked dark brown to black. The flash showed the pale undersides and the yellow bands. I climbed up to get a better look; difficult on loose duff and a steep slope, but I managed to get above the tree.

Top view.

They still looked dark, fading to black, to my eyes in the shade. Photoshop lightened the photos up to show the shape and patterns. Here, I didn't use the flash.

And a couple of people passing by gave me a hand coming down, so I didn't break my neck. Which for a moment seemed a possibility.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Es la temporada de hongos. O debe ser la temporada de hongos, pero este año estamos en sequía, y no han salido los honguitos que siempre he encontrado en octubre. En tres paseos por el bosque, siempre con los ojos pelados para ver hongos, casi los únicos eran los poliporos que duran todo el tiempo en los troncos viejos.

Foto #1: un poliporo de cinturón rojo, Fomitopsis pinicola.

Foto # 2: Estos se parecen a los Chlorophyllum spp., pero aquí están creciendo en madera en vez de suelo. No me pude agachar suficientemente como para ver si tienen o no lamelas.

Fotos #3 y 4: Estos hongos crecían sobre la base de un árbol situado en un declive empinado. A la luz baja de este sitio, los hongos parecían casi negros, pero con el flash de la cámara, se ven los colores pálidos de la parte inferior, y los bordes amarillos. Con trabajos (pues la tierra estaba seca, suelta, movediza, y muy empinada) logré subir hasta verlos desde arriba. Aquí, sin el flash, todavía se veían de un color café muy oscuro; con Photoshop, subí la luz para revelar su forma.

Una pareja que pasaba en el senderito me dieron una mano para ayudarme a regresar a tierra firma sin romperme el cuello. Lo que parecía probable, por unos momentos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger