Monday, September 05, 2022

With their feet in the water

 While I sat watching that little backyard pond ...

Find the turtle.

The flowers are pickerelweed, Pontederia cordata. It is native to the east coast of Canada and the US.

And here's the turtle again, contemplating her food sticks.

A messy pond, just the way she likes it. Can you find her?

It's a dog eat dog world. The dragonflies, I'm told, are the most efficient predators on planet earth. And their larvae are as successful as the adults. But of the thousands of eggs the meadowhawk laid the other day, few will survive to adulthood; in this pond, the turtle will eat the larvae.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mientras observaba la libélula que ponía sus huevos alrededor del estanque del jardín ...

Fotos: el estanque, con la tortuga de orejas rojas y plantas acuáticas. Las flores son Pontederia cordata, nativa a las costas del oriente de norteamérica.

Es un mundo donde todos somos partes de una cadena alimentaria. Las libélulas, según me dicen, son los depredadores más eficientes de nuestra planeta. Y sus larvas son tan feroces como los adultos. Pero de los miles de huevos que puso la libélula el otro dia, pocos llegarán a ser adultos. En este estanque, la tortuga se comerá las larvas en cuanto enclosionan.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger