Sunday, September 04, 2022

Private viewing

I have spent many hours chasing dragonflies with a camera. They zip past me, sometimes making repeated loops, as if daring me to be ready for them when they come around again, but always just a bit off, just a bit too fast for my reflexes. Sometimes they stand still, perched on a twig or a blade of grass, usually dashing off as soon as I take a step in their direction. So beautiful, so frustrating!

So this was a treat. A female meadowhawk busy around a small backyard pond, laying her eggs in the moss, taking her time.

Sympetrum spp.?

She would stop in one spot for a while, curving her abdomen around to her chosen spot on the moss, then fly to another spot to lay more eggs. In no hurry, always picking out damp spots near the edge of the water. Another meadowhawk, probably her mate, hovered overhead or perched in the trees above.

She has orange spots on the leading edges of her wings.

And big brown eyes.

" ... many odonate species scatter or place their eggs in several different places within suitable habitat to better hedge their reproductive bets." (Constant contact)

Her favourite spot, in the shelter of pond plants.

She had been at it for about half an hour when I arrived, and I watched for another half hour. She was still hard at work when I left.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
He pasado muchas horas siguiendo libélulas con la cámara. Pasan volando, a veces haciendo círculos o figuras de ocho, como si me daban oportunidad para sacarles la foto, pero siempre un poco fuera de ritmo, siempre un poco demasiado rápido para mis reflejos. O se detienen en un palito o una hoja y en cuanto doy un paso para acercarme, se lanzan al aire a alta velocidad. ¡Tan bellas son, y tan frustrantes!

Así que esto fue un verdadero regalo. Una libélula hembra se ocupaba alrededor de un estanque de jardín poniendo sus huevos en el musgo a la orilla del agua, sin prisas.

Fotos: la libélula. Sympetrum spp. Tiene manchas anaranjadas en las alas, y ojos grandes cafés.

Se detenía en un sitio por un tiempo, doblando su abdomen hacia el musgo, después volaba a otro punto y repetía la acción. Tomaba su tiempo, siempre escogía musgo húmedo a unos centímetros del agua. Otra libélula, probablemente su pareja, daba vueltas arriba o descansaba en lo alto de los árboles alrededor.

"... muchas especies de los odonatos riegan o colocan sus huevos en varios lugares distintos en un habitat apropriado para mejor asegurar la reproducción." (Constant contact)

Había estado ocupado así por aproximadamente media hora antes de que yo llegara, y yo la observé por otra media hora. Seguía en la obra cuando yo me despedí.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger