Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Never would have guessed.

This I had never seen before.

Kelp crabs are inconspicuous, dressed in dull brownish-green, without a visible pattern. The colour of old brown algae, of dried kelp, usually hidden under seaweeds. Even newly-molted, they're a yellowish brown, but soon darken.

Kelp crab, away from his hiding place. June, 2022.

At low tide yesterday afternoon, I found a discarded kelp crab carapace on the sand. With the inner side up. Look!

Such a beautiful baby blue inside!

Sea and sky blue, with a pattern of sea foam. Amazing.

Another first: and this is a horrible photo, but it's the best I could do in a few seconds.

Very small, very speedy hermit crab, underwater and racing for cover.

A hermit crab, wearing a barnacle shell. He saw my shadow before I saw him; it was his hurry to hide under a rock that attracted my attention. I've never seen one wear a barnacle shell before.

A plain sandy beach is never without its surprises.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Esto no lo había visto nunca.

Un cangrejo "kelp", cangrejo de algas, Pugettia producta, se esconde bajo las algas, y se viste de los colores de algas cafés como el quelpo, sin diseño; nada que llame la atención. Un color café verdusco, o recién mudado, café algo amarillento, pero que pronto se vuelve oscuro.

Foto #1: Un cangrejo de algas, sobre algas mojadas. Junio de este año.

Caminando en la arena ayer, con la marea baja, encontré la muda de un cangrejo de algas, con el interior expuesto a la vista.

Foto #2: Y adentro, es de un color azul claro. El azul de mar y cielo, con un diseño de espuma de mar. ¡Qué sorpresa!

Otra cosa que vi por primera vez, y con una foto de lo más horrible, pero es todo lo que pude lograr en unos cuantos segundos.

Foto #3: Un cangrejo ermitaño muy chico, muy correlón, bajo el agua y apurándose a esconder.

Lleva como protección una concha de bálano. Nunca he visto esto antes. Por suerte, (el suyo) vió mi sombra antes de que yo le notara. Fue su prisa en esconderse bajo una roca que me llamó la atención.

Una playa, por más "vacía" nunca deja de tener con que sorprendernos.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger