Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Caught my eye

Study in contrasts; a sun-bleached shore crab molt among beach pebbles.

The purple shore crab, Hemigrapsus nudus, as shown by the polka-dotted pincers.

The other common shore crab native to these shores, the Hemigrapsus oregonensis, is similar in size, colour, shape, and habitat (mostly intertidal), but is missing these spots. And he has hairy legs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Una muda de un cangrejito costero morado, Hemigrapsus nudus, haciendo contraste con las piedras de la zona intramareal.

Se le conoce por los lunares color morado (en la vida; aquí se ve blanqueado por el sol) en los quelípedos.

El otro cangrejo costero nativo a estas costas es el costero verde, H. oregonensis; es muy parecido con lo que respeta al tamaño, color, forma, y su habitat, la zona intramareal primeramente. Pero al verde le faltan los lunares. Y tiene las patas peludas.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger