Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Another look at St. John's wort

A few weeks ago, I posted a photo of St. John's wort, found in a grassy patch beside the road. Last week, I found some in a friend's garden.

The flowers.

And the berries.

The wild flowers, and most of those I've seen in an image search, have "stitches" around the edges of the petals. These cultivated ones do not. I'm not sure if they're a different species, or a variety.

And I don't remember seeing any producing berries in the wild. Maybe I've just been unobservant. Must go looking for them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hace unas semanas, subí una foto de las flores de hierba de San Juan, Hypericum perforatum, plantas que crecían en un terreno abandonado al lado de la carretera. La semana pasada, las encontré en el jardín de una amiga.

Fotos: las flores, y las frutillas.

Las flores que vi al lado del camino, y la mayoría de las que veo en una búsqueda de imágenes en Google, tienen puntitos o perforaciones en los bordes de los pétalos. Estas, cultivadas en el jardín, no los tienen. No sé si es que son de otra especie o de alguna variedad de la misma.
 
Y no me acuerdo de haber visto nunca que produzcan frutillas en el campo. Tal vez es por falta de atención. Tendré que ir a buscarlas.


1 comment:

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger