Wednesday, October 06, 2021

Fairy lipstick

 I always look for these red tips on lichen.

Cladonia sp.

The lichen starts off as flat scales on the wood called squamules. From them rise the tall fertile clubs. The red tips are the fruiting bodies.

A common red-tipped lichen in this area is Cladonia macilenta, also known as Lipstick Lichen. I can't be sure these are lipsticks; the species are difficult to distinguish without a lens.

These were on a log in the dunes at Oyster Bay.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cuando encuentro líquenes en troncos viejos, siempre busco estos puntos rojos.

Son de una de las especies de Cladonia. El liquen empieza con esas pequeñas escalas. De ellas suben los tronquitos, en la punta, aparecen los cuerpos fructíferos, que en muchas de las Cladonia son rojos.

Una especie de líquenes con punto rojo por este rumbo es Cladonia macilenta, al que se le ha puesto el nombre de Liquen Lápiz Labial. No puedo estar segura que estos son lápiz labial, porque identificación es difícil sin una lente de aumento, o microscopio.

Estos estaban en un tronco entre las dunas en Oyster Bay.


2 comments:

  1. We have a lichen I think is Lipstick here at the cabin. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger