Tuesday, September 07, 2021

Welcome visitors

 Trying to decide which are my favourite spiders; house and garden edition.

These, I think, are my favourites. Cross spider, Araneus diadematus. Such pretty patterns! And gorgeous webs! In the carport.

No, these are my favourites. Egg case of American house spider, Parasteatoda tepidariorum. Patient parents. Lawn and garden clipping bag.

No, actually, I think these are my favourite spiders.Giant house spider youngster, Tegenaria gigantea. Speedy security guard. On my bedroom wall.


Or maybe it's this one, so fragile-lookiing, so elegant! Cellar spider, Pholcus phalangoides. In a corner of my bedroom, with family everywhere, inside and outside.

But then there are the jumpers, who haven't been visiting lately, but I'm always glad to see them. And the wolves. And the crab spiders. And ...

I give up. They're all wonderful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tratando de decidir cual de todas las arañas que me visitan son mis favoritas. Estas, las de la casa y el jardín.

  1. ¿Estas? Araneus diadematus. Porque son tan bonitas, y hacen telarañas muy lindas. Esta está en la cochera.
  2. O estas. Parasteatoda tepidariorum. Araña casera americana. Tan pacientes con sus crias. Este es un saco de sus huevos, en la bolsa de desechos del jardín.
  3. O no, estas son las favoritas.Tegenaria gigantea. Araña casera gigante. Guardianes de la casa. Este es un jovencito en la pared de mi recámara.
  4. No, mejor son estas. Pholcus phalangoides. Una araña fólcida. ¡Tan elegantes, y parecen (pero no son) tan frágiles! Esta espera su presa en una esquina; sus familiares están por todas partes, adentro y afuera.
Pero se me olvidan las saltarines, las cuales no han venido a visitar recientemente, pero siempre son bienvenidas. O las arañas lobo. O las arañas cangrejo. O ...

Me rindo. Me encantan todas.


2 comments:

  1. I'd have to say my favourite is any of the Argiope spiders. I've only seen them in BC a handful of times (Thetis Island, over 30 years ago, and I couldn't find them on a return trip), but they are the largest orb weavers I've ever seen here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem to be rare in BC; E-Fauna has records only in the Lower Mainland. INaturalist has one photo. As far as I know, I have never seen one.

      Delete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger