Saturday, June 19, 2021

Six legs big, eight legs small

 A beetle dropped in to visit today. I found her* on my kitchen floor, very sleepy. I took her outside and gave her a drink, and she woke up and found a little friend.

Ground beetle and a friendly red spider mite.

Looks like she may have a mite on her back, too.

Side view, on wet painted board.

* I think she's a female because of the shape of her feet:

Front and rear feet. The males have wider and hairier feet. "The better to grab you with, my dear."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuve una visita hoy. Me vino a ver un escarabajo de tierra; la* encontré en la cocina, muy soñolienta. La llevé afuera y le di un poco de agua para beber, y se animó. Y se encontró una amiguita.

Primera foto: el escarabajo (hembra) con un ácaro rojo.
Segunda foto: parece que puede tener un ácaro en la espalda también.
Tercera foto: vista de lado.

* Creo que es hembra, por las patas: los machos las tienen más anchas, y más peludas, parece que para poder detener mejor a la hembra.

Cuarta foto: las patas, anterior y posterior.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger