Monday, June 21, 2021

Every three years

The beach peas are blooming.

Beach pea, Lathyrus japonicus

These are growing among the logs lining the shore at Oyster Bay.

I didn't know this (my emphasis):
Beach Pea is an ecologically and biogeographically interesting species. Plants are reported to flower in their third year, with pollination by long-tongued bumblebees (Low 2005). Seeds of this species disperse in sea water and may remain viable for up to 5 years, which may aid in long-distance dispersal. (E-Flora BC)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Los guisantes de playa, Lathyrus japonicus, están en flor.

Foto: las flores crecen entre los troncos depositados a la orilla de la zona intramareal. Estas están en Oyster Bay.

Esto no lo sabía; lo que puse en negrita:
"El guisante de playa es una especie interesante tanto ecológicamente y biogeograficamente. Se dice que las plantas florecen en el tercer año, y son polinizados por las abejas de lengua larga. (Low 2005) Las semillas de esta especie se distribuyen en agua de mar y pueden mantenerse vivas por hasta 5 años, lo que puede ayudarlas a dispersarse por largas distancias." (de E-Flora BC)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger