Thursday, May 13, 2021

Photobombing fly

On the underside of a rock where I was looking at starfish, I noticed a lineup of limpets wearing barnacles and sea lettuce.

I count 28 limpets here.

Looking at the photos at home, I discovered a couple of flies.

Limpet with low tide seaweed fly.

These flies were everywhere at the lowest tide line. Where do they go when the tide comes in? I don't see them at high tide, but here they were, on every wet rock, on the seaweeds, flying in my face while I walked at the edge of the water, making a nuisance of themselves.

I'll look for them on BugGuide.

UPDATE: That was quick! BugGuide identifies it as Limonia marmorata. The Limoniines are a group of flies that live in damp environments. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Estaba mirando estrellas de mar debajo de una roca, y encontré un grupo de lapas, todas decoradas con bálanos miniaturos y lechuga de mar. Cuento 28 en la foto.

Y luego, mirando la foto en casa, descubrí un par de moscas.

Estas moscas volaban por todos lados en la zona más baja intramareal. Se congregaban en cada roca mojada, en las algas marinas, y dando vueltas a mi cabeza mientras caminaba a la orilla del agua. Algo molesto.

Pero: ¿adónde se van cuando sube la marea? No las veo nunca, aparte de las horas de mareas muy bajas.

Las voy a buscar en el sitio BugGuide; tal vez las puedo identificar.

Y se ha identificado, en BugGuide. Es una mosca Limonia marmorata. Las Limoninas es un grupo de moscas que viven en sitios húmedos. ¡Los de BugGuide siempre saben!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger