Monday, April 05, 2021

Beaver pond, April

 I drove out yesterday to check on the beaver lodge again before the new summer growth disguises it. The water was high in the pond, and very calm; the water lilies are just starting to break the surface.

Beaver pond in the shade, April 2021

I've been taking photos of the lodge several times a year since 2017, and I just went back and compared all the photos. The lodge doesn't seem to get any taller, but in each photo the arrangement of sticks on top is different. The beavers are busy.

And no, I've never seen any of them. Beavers are mainly nocturnal. Maybe I'll go out there some warm moonlit night this summer.

Just a log, with the first water lily leaves, in the warmer microclimate on the sunny side.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fui ayer a visitar la laguna de los castores otra vez antes de que las nuevas hojas alrededor esconden la castorera. Había mucha agua en la laguna, y los lirios de agua apenas empiezan a romper la superficie.

Foto: la laguna, con la castorera en el centro, en la sombra.

He sacado fotos de la castorera varias veces cada año desde 2017, y acabo de juntar y hacer comparaciones de las fotos. La castorera no parece crecer, pero en cada foto, el arreglo de palos y tronquitos está cambiado. Los castores se mantienen ocupados.

Nunca he visto ninguno de ellos. Los castores son animales de noche, por la mayor parte. Creo que iré a esperarlos alguna noche de luna este verano.

Segunda foto: un tronco viejo, flotando, con las primeras hojas de lirio de agua aprovechándose del microclima un tanto más caluroso en el lado asoleado.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger